Certification & Exam
PRINCE2 is a de facto standard developed and used extensively by the UK government and it is widely recognized and used in the private sector, both in the UK and internationally.
The PRINCE2 Qualification Scheme has been developed by AXELOS Limited to offer a tiered examination structure with three levels of qualification, Foundation, Practitioner, and Professional.
AXELOS sets the quality expectations for the PRINCE2 qualifications. AXELOS have accredited nine Examination Institutes (EIs) who in turn accredit a network of Accredited Training Organizations including their trainers and course material to be able to offer PRINCE2 training courses and examinations.
PRINCE2 Foundation is one of the most sought after certifications in Project Management profession. The purpose of the foundation certification is to confirm you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of the PRINCE2 method to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of, a project management team working within an environment supporting PRINCE2. The foundation certification is also a prerequisite for the Practitioner certification.
The purpose of the Practitioner qualification is to confirm whether the candidate has achieved sufficient understanding of how to apply and tailor PRINCE2 in a scenario situation. A successful Practitioner candidate should, with suitable direction, be able to start applying the method to a real project but may not be sufficiently skilled to do this appropriately for all situations. Their individual project management expertise, complexity of the project and the support provided for the use of PRINCE2 in their work environment will all be factors that impact what the Practitioner can achieve.
Foundation: There is no formal pre-requisite to take the PRINCE2 Foundation exam. Anyone interested in PRINCE2 project management can take the Foundation exam.
Practitioner: In order to sit the PRINCE2 Practitioner examination you must provide proof of having passed one of the following:
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- IPMA Level A® (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate)
Examination Format - Foundation:
- Multiple choice examination questions
- 75 questions per paper
- Five questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required (out of 70 available) to pass - 50%
- One hour's (60 minutes) duration
- Closed book.
Examination Format - Practitioner:
- Objective testing
- Eight questions - 10 question items per question, each worth one mark
- 44 marks or more required to pass (out of 80 available) - 55%
- Two-and-a-half hours’ (150 minutes) duration, no additional reading time
- Open book exam (official PRINCE2 manual only).