Certification & Exam
The Service Operation (SO) module is one of the certifications within the ITIL® Service Lifecycle work stream. This module focuses on the principles, processes, operational activities and functions that enable organizations and individuals to successfully manage how their products and services perform. These activities can also help improve their IT Service Management.
The SO module focuses on the coordination and execution of activities that enable the ongoing management and operation of the products or services developed or implemented during the service strategy, design and transition phases of the IT Service Lifecycle as well as any technology and support resources that are used to deliver them.
The course covers management and control of activities and techniques that are documented in the ITIL Service Operation publication, but it does not provide the full detail of each supporting process. More information about these processes can be found in the Operational Support and Analysis module from the Service Capability work stream.
Understanding of Service Operation best practice enables organizations and IT teams to effectively sustain and maintain the products and services they develop and ensure that they provide efficient resources for their users.
Prerequisite Entry Criteria
Candidates wishing to be trained and examined for this qualification must already hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management which must be presented as documentary evidence to gain admission. Candidates who hold the following ITIL qualifications are also eligible, and similar evidence will be required:
- Earlier ITIL (V2) Foundation plus Foundation Bridge
- ITIL Expert in IT Service Management (achieved via Service Manager or Practitioner bridging routes).
Eligibility for Examination
To be eligible for the ITIL Intermediate Qualification: Service Operation examination, candidates shall fulfil the following requirements:
- At least 21 contact hours (hours of instruction, excluding breaks, with an Accredited Training Organization (ATO) or an accredited e-learning solution) for this syllabus, as part of a formal, approved training course and scheme
- A basic IT literacy and around 2 years IT experience are highly desirable
- Hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (or other appropriate earlier ITIL and bridge qualifications– see Prerequisite Entry Criteria mentioned above)
- It is recommended that candidates should complete at least 21 hours of personal study by reviewing the syllabus and the ITIL Service Operation publication in preparation for the examination, specifically Chapter 2: Service management as a practice
- Multiple choice examination questions
- Eight questions per paper
- 28 marks required to pass (out of 40 available) - 70%
- 90 minutes’ duration
- Closed book.